Monday, August 24, 2009

Adventures in Girl Scouting




On Thursday afternoon, I was coming home from Northampton (where I really loved getting to spend time with Jess!) Anyway, I was driving home- and here is what I love about living where I do- I just pulled my car into the driveway and there were about 10 girls and their parents waving to me on the front porch to come help stuff scarecrows. I got to help make scarecrows with the Girl Scouts to enter in the fair. Most of the girls were around 9 years old and it was so much fun hanging out with them and their parents. I love stuff like that, I love being around people like that, and I LOVE that it's in my front yard when I come home. (added bonus: Ross had already tapped the People's Pint keg in the backyard!) What a great place this is.

All the kids were pretty excited about what they were working on and even more excited that I might help them with it. After helping Anni put together a beauty queen scare crow I decided to take a stab at making my own. I was forced to laugh when I realized I had to give up my creative control and let the excited kids take over. We made a robot (They drew all sorts of buttons and dials on the thing.) and it pretty much rocked the graveyard...that's right the kids all took their scare crows over to the graveyard to set them up and register them for judging in the fair the next day.

It was so hot and muggy out when I was making those creations with the girls, but it didn't matter. We were so into it (and I had my Pied Piper IPA) that it didn't stop us. I just loved spending time with them and loved being sweaty without caring or really noticing b/c I was having too much fun chatting and playing with them. I think it's that I just love to play. It might be my favorite thing- adults aren't as good at playing (although they like to think they are.)
I love the way whimsy takes over and there is a sense of excitement and adventure in the smallest project.

Kids rock...

No comments: